advertisement
22 March 2013

'Toxic' black-market drug dangerous

Wada said the once developmental drug, identified as GW501516, had been bought and used by some athletes despite being withdrawn from research and terminated when "serious toxicities were discovered in pre-clinical studies."

0

Wada said the once developmental drug, identified as GW501516, had been bought and used by some athletes despite being withdrawn from research and terminated when "serious toxicities were discovered in pre-clinical studies."

Side effect of the chemical compound

The side effect of this chemical compound is so serious that WADA is taking the rare step of warning 'cheats' to ensure that there is complete awareness of the possible health risks to athletes who succumb to the temptation of using GW501516 for performance enhancement," WADA added in a statement. It said the drug did not have, and would not get, clinical approval."

However, GW501516 has been available for some months on the black market, through the Internet and elsewhere.

Anti-Doping authorities have already seen its use by athletes, as there are a number of positive cases."WADA did not specify which athletes had tested positive for the substance but urged federations to notify athletes "as soon as possible."

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X

More:

FitnessNews
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Wasting water? »

South Africa is facing a water crisis Water saving tips Water quality report shocks

SEE: How much water do you use per day?

With level 4 water restrictions in Cape Town, residents are urged to use a maximum of 100 litres per person per day. Here’s how quickly it adds up.

Life saving tip! »

SEE: 10 things to keep in your first aid kit 10 first aid myths

Here's why you need a first aid kit in the car

Emergency services are often spread thin, especially when storms and major disasters strike. When travelling on the road, having a well-stocked first aid kit could be a lifesaver.