Elana Meyer, Olympic medallist, multiple global record-holder and world champion, on Monday launched Africa's first academy dedicated to endurance sports at the Sports Science Institute in Cape Town.
Endurocad, a non-profit organisation, aims to become the most proficient distance running and endurance sports academy in Africa. Founded by Elana Meyer and business strategist and marketing expert Janet Welham, the academy's objective is to identify and develop world class distance runners in South Africa and help them qualify as IAAF "Gold Label" elite athletes in order to
win more International, City, Commonwealth and Olympic medals.
2016 Olympic Games
"Endurocad will be dedicated to elite endurance athletes who wish to improve their times, make a living from their talent and to build a brand and business for life after sport. There is so much running talent in South Africa. We want to identify and develop these athletes and help prepare them for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, and beyond," says Meyer.
Together with the Sports Science Institute of South
Africa (SSISA) and Stellenbosch Sports Academy (SSA), founding partner Investec and affiliated partners Adidas, Cathsseta, Drug Free Sport, Gallo Images, MXIT, Remgro, Tsogo Sun, Virgin Active and Vital Health Foods, Endurocad offers a complete suite of services to support and
professionally manage world class distance runners.
The academy will ultimately be made up of the following four divisions:
- Exclusive elite academy
- Satellite squads
- Training camps
- SA Can Run
SA Can Run is a community development project open and free to all South African runners in order to both attract and recognise talent.
Says Meyer: "We are activating South Africans in order to both attract and recognise talent. If you feel that you have talent and would like to participate, we would encourage you to join the SA Can Run community."
Existing talent will be identified by:
- a comprehensive evaluation of existing times, and
- working closely with existing clubs
New talent will be identified through:
- on-going communication with SA Can Run members and "talent spotting" initiatives
- Adi-active runs (monthly) - Adidas & Virgin Active
- park runs (weekly)
- club time trials, and
- pre-determined races
Coaching and scientific monitoring
Top athletes will be selected to attend Endurocad's training camps which will consist of:
At these training camps 120 top athletes will be selected to be members of the Endurocad satellite squads.
- selection skills and assessment training camps
- regional camps, and
- high altitude training camps
These satellite squad members will receive:
All satellite squad members will also be able to participate in:
- coaching guidance
- coaching schedules
- scientific daily on-line monitoring
- nutrition guidance, and
- long-term life and other skills development programmes (to focus on job creation)
Of these athletes, 40 will be chosen for Endurocad's highest divison, the Endurocad elite academy.
- regional training camps
- high altitude training camps, and
- provided they qualify they will also have the opportunity to race abroad
Based on an annual bursary into Endurocad, these athletes will have access to:
To learn more about Endurocad and how you can get involved visit the Endurocad SA Endurance Academy website.
- full board and lodging
- full coaching and management support
- specialist medical and physiological support
- scientific daily monitoring
- access to all high performance facilities
- access to training camps at altitude and exchange programs.
- provided they qualify they will also have the opportunity to race locally and abroad
- nutrition guidance
- training gear, and
- life skills and enterprise development