Question
Posted by: Cuddles | 2011/06/09

Zyban vs. Paxil

Greetings, on this cold morning.

I am a smoker and want to stop. I read that Zyban is a good method to aid me with the withdrawal symptoms. However, I am on Paxil and now I am wondering if Zyban is a substitute for Paxil.... can I stop the Paxil and go on Zyban for my depression?

I also read that Zuban has less side effects like weight gain and libido problems.... sounds like a bonus to me. I would very much like to go onto Zyban and stop the Paxil.

Thank you very much.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi C

Zyban, or rather its active ingredient, is indeed also a very effective antidepressant (It is marketed under the brandname Wellbutrin for treatment of depression).

I'd suggest speaking to your doctor about a potential switch AND HOW TO DO SO SAFELY.

All the best!

3
Posted by: K | 2011/06/23

Wellbutrin and Zyban are the same thing, just different brands

Reply to K
Posted by: Nikki | 2011/06/16

Hello,

Do we even get Wellbutrin in SA? I have googled it for a week now, and GSK only distributes in UK, and EU as read from the net.

I am currently on Zoloft, for depression it works wonders, but if your keen on sleep its utter hell. i havent slept for the last week!

Please advise if Wellbutrin is available or not, then i will go to my doctor and have him switch my script ASAP.

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/06/13

Hi C

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist