Question
Posted by: Annie | 2011/11/03

Zyban - Champix - Difference?

I stopped smoking a couple years ago with the use of Zyban.
I am still smoke free and happy.
My husband tried Zyban and had terrible allergic reactions with hives, swelling etc. and had to stop taking it immediately.
He still smokes today.
I would like to know if there is a possibilty that he would have the same reaction to Champix?
Is it the main ingredients that cause these reactions or one of the other mixed ingredients that could have caused it.
Because i know that both the products have different main ingrients but some of the others are the same.

Any advice appreciated.

Annie

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Congratulations on being smoke-free, and I'm sorry to hear your husband had bad side effects on Zyban. Champix is a different drug with a different action, so hopefully he won't have such a severe reaction and it's certainly worth asking your doctor if it would be worth a try.
Consider also posting this question to our Pharmacist, or to Cyberdoc.

3
Posted by: Irene | 2012/02/27

I would really like to know if champix is worth starting,
because I really need to stop smoking, I have comprised
my job because I needed a cigarette every half and hour,
and the customers complained that I smelt of smoke.
How do I go about obtaining champix, how much does
it cost?
thank you

Reply to Irene
Posted by: George | 2011/12/28

I tried Zyban three times without any effect. I am currently using Champix and has been smoke free since 24/12/2011. Quiting has more to do with will power than the drug.

The advantage with Champix is the mytimetostart website that assists you with the psychological side to quitting smoking. I would suggest asking your doctor to prescribe just the first 2 week package and try that, if it works continue with the course, if not it would not have cost you the full course amount.

Reply to George
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2011/11/04

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice