Zyban and depression/suicide

Hey there! I am 37 year old male. I have been on Zyban since 25th of December 2008 and stopped smoking on the 5th of January 2009. I have used Zyban for about 2 months and did no see the use to carry on as I successfully kicked the habit. No cravings and no need to smoke.

During the use of Zyban I experience a decrease in my concentration. I also started to fall over my words (especially my 2nd language) and sometimes battled to have a full intelligent conversation with out gasping for words. I also had the sensation of an Airy Head. A warm, dumb feeling with a slight pressure.

My life Pre-Zyban was normal –  if you could say that –  I was happy and focused and never depressed. In fact –  I could never understand why people get depressed. I did not understand depression.

My life as it stands now. I am almost 4 months without cigarettes. 2 months without Zyban. My problem is that I sometimes find my self with suicidal thoughts. Not that I think I will ever be able to do anything suicidal. I just don’ t have the guts and selfishness for that. I am feeling heavy, depressed and constantly sigh for no apparent reason. My work, social and family situation is fine and has not changed in a long time. I should be happy for that.

I knew before that going on Zyban will not be without side-effects. Some people warned me about the depression side of it.

I now gained some weight (expected it)
My skin seems to be in a bad way (pimples on age 37)
I am aggressive
I am short tempered
I am restless
I get anxious

My questions are –  How long will it take for me to be normal again. How long does it take for the chemicals to fade? Did I do permanent damage to my brains chemical balances? Should I see a shrink?

Thank you!

Expert ImagePharmacist

After 2 months without Zyban, the side-effects you are experiencing are most probably not caused by the drug anymore, but by your smoking cessation. Whatever the cause, you should see your doctor as soon as possible - even a GP you trust - to assist with improving your quality of life. Best of luck.