Posted by: Cindy | 2013-02-12

Dear Doc, kindly advise...I am taking Zyban to quit smoking. Its been 2 weeks on the med. Although I am not experiencing insomnia as a side effect, I am however, having the worst nightmares of my life. Often very violent dreams...and very disturbing, leaving me upset the following day. Is this a temp side effect and should I be patient because of the good results in terms of not smoking?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Zyban is not supposed to do that, although there are always surprises.

However, I would imagine that the nightmares are rather related to the withdrawal of all the chemicals in the cigarettes. If it doesn't settle soon, you might just need an antidepressant for a short while, which should help you over the problem.

Whatever you do though, DON'T go back to smoking!