Question
Posted by: Nic | 2011/03/23

Zyban

I started using Zyban in an attempt to stop smoking. I know that it is supposed to have ''anti-depressant'' type effects but it had completely the opposite effect on me. By day four I was absolutely terrified of taking two tablets a day because one tablet was honestly making me so depressed and emotional that I thought I might harm myself.
I am normally a very even-tempered and logical person so this was a horrible experience for me. I know that it was definitely the tablets because as soon as I stopped, the very next morning, I felt myself again.
I had a bad headache during this time and took some tablets which contain Codeine. I know Codeine is quite slowly metabolised and I wonder whether this could have reacted with the Zyban to produce this effect?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Nic

I dont think it is an interaction between the codeiene and Zyban in this case. Your are probably just sensitive to Zyban, and what you have described are not uncommon.

Taking them together is however not a good idea in those with epilepsy as these agents are often individually epileptogenic and may have additive effects when combined.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/03/24

Hi Nic

Reply to pharmacist