Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2008/08/07

Zyban

I have heard how fantastic Zyban is to help with quitting smoking. The problem is I chatted to someone a while ago and they told me that Zyban is actually not an anti-depressant at all but was rather used as a diet pill some years back. They also told me that it can make one psycotic???? Now I am confused. Should I get Zyban or not. Are they really that bad? Please help

Whoever you talked to is an ignorant idiot who should not be taken seriously. Zyban is an antidepressant, and has been used as such in other countries for many years. It is not a diet pill, and its value in helping smoking cessation is relatively newly discovered. And it can't make you psychotic --- though your bizarre informant sounds borderline psychotic ! Ignore their worthless opinion, see a shrink about Zyban and discuss it frankly with the prescribing doc so you can be reassured.

5
Posted by: jskr | 2008/08/08

I had absolutely NO ide effets from Zyban.

Only problem, started smoking again a year after I quit :o( My stupid...

Reply to jskr
Posted by: ja | 2008/08/08

I had PLENTY side effects and stopped after 4 weeks - couldn' t handle it anymore.
Did Allen Carrs Easy way - 2 1/2 years later no smoking! They offer a money back guarantee so why dont you try that route first? It kills the urge to smoke at the root cause. To me there just isn' t another way  ive tried them ALL.

Reply to ja
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008/08/08

I' ve been taking Wellbutrin (same thing as Zyban) for over three months and it' s helped my depression. I didn' t take it for smoking cessation. It was initially investigated as a diet pill, because it tends to lower your appetite (in most people), but then it was discovered that it also helped people stop smoking.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: User | 2008/08/08

Hi Stacy

I was in a state that could' nt quit on my own had to Zyban and it helped me up to so far, have' nt had any side effects i' m on day 6 now.

Reply to User
Posted by: Natural fan | 2008/08/07

Google it. Answers will include the following:

" Zyban side effects range from mild - like dry mouth, nausea and drowsiness - to life-threatening Zyban side effects like liver failure and increased suicide risk

Addiction and subsequent withdrawal symptoms also rank on the list of serious Zyban side effects.

The FDA issued a public health alert for Zyban in March 2004 warning that Wellbutrin side effects include deeper depression and an increased suicide risk. Zyban has also been linked to Parkinson’ s Disease.

Only you can decide if Zyban is the best treatment for you. If considering using Zyban, thoroughly discuss Zyban side effect concerns with your physician." 

And:

" Zyban Side Effects include agitation, depression, and irritability, abnormal coordination, CNS stimulation, confusion, decreased libido, decreased memory, depersonalization, emotional lability, hostility, hyperkinesia, hypertonia, hypesthesia, paresthesia, suicidal ideation, and vertigo, amnesia, ataxia, derealization, and hypomania, abnormal electroencephalogram (EEG), aggression, akinesia, aphasia, coma, delirium, delusions, dysarthria, dyskinesia, dystonia, euphoria, extrapyramidal syndrome, hallucinations, hypokinesia, increased libido, manic reaction, neuralgia, neuropathy, paranoid ideation, restlessness, and unmasking tardive dyskinesia.

Can Zyban cause psychosis? Oh yeah!

Reply to Natural fan