Posted by: Dana | 2010-01-25

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Zumba Fitness and man oh man it is a great workout- I have tried the Tae Bo and other aerobics but I have never sweated and felt so worked out the way I do after Zumba!!! It’ s great! I have one question- from the workouts I have been doing, it seems that my arms and stomach get the most work out, where as my problems areas are my thighs, hips and butt. Now I haven’ t progressed to all the workouts on all the DVDs yet, but I want to know that even though my arms and stomach are the main focus will my thighs, hips and butt also get a work out? You do have to use your legs a lot but I don’ t feel the same burn and I am DYING to get rid of my huge butt!!!!! I do 40 minutes of walking a day (split up into four sets of 10 minutes- I can’ t do it any other way because I walk to work then back home to lunch then back to work then back home after work- I live very close to my work) and I am aiming for about 10- 20 minutes of Zumba so I get an hour of exercise a day.

Hi Dana

They're getting a work out, yes, but perhaps relative to your ability and fitness, it's not as large as that for the arms. Remember they're quite different muscles, different functions and that can make them more difficult to "burn". But in terms of weight loss, it doesn't matter whether you use the muscle or not, you can't lose weight on specific muscles anyway. Rather focus on total energy use, and then make diet choices to help you create an energy deficit. The weight then comes off.

Overall it sounds liek you're getting good training in. Now it's just to make sure that diet is also good and then you should see progress.