Posted by: Zelda | 2012-07-12

Always been a light sleeper - have trouble falling asleep and also wake up frequently during the night. I have lupus (SLE) and my rheumatologist put me on Zopiclone more than a year ago. It helps me to fall asleep (most of the time) but I still wake up regularly during the night.

I have read that it is bad for me to be on Zopiclone for such a long time. I would like to switch over to a natural sleep remedy - anything that is effective that I can use? And can I leave the Zopiclone immediately or should I stop it gradually?

Many thanks!

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Firstly, it is not especially bad to be on it for a long time. As long as it is helping it is ok. The biggest problem is that if you just stop it, you are likely to have a bad insomnia for 2 or 3 weeks before it all settles down.

Any "natural" product - if it works - is likely to have similar problems. In fact, what you are on is certainly one of the better choices.

If you want to get off medication, the best chance is to see a sleep specialist. There is a technique called "cognitive behavioural therapy" which actually has the best success rate for insomnia. It is a psychological technique and makes no use of medication whatsoever.