Question
Posted by: Mellissa | 2011/12/05

Zopax

Hi there, I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks about 6 years, i was on zopax a while and it helped alot. Recently the panics and anxiety started again. I went to my doc who prescribed zopax again since its the only drug that helps. I tried all the other herbal remedies available on the market including st johns wort, not nearly as effective. My problem is really embarrassing and i hate talking to different docs about it. Becuase I cannot get zopax over the counter I was wondering if there could be anything else close to zopax I can get, not the herbal ones, these dont help me at all. I have no allergies and otherwise perfectly healthy, please all answers will be deeply appreciated

Zopax is a benzodiazepine sedative tranquillizer. I VERY much doubt that it's "the only drug that works", as there are many alternatives, but apparently it has suited you well previously.
I know of no evidence at all that St John's wort is useful in anxiety and panic attacks. I wouldn't expect any of the herbal remedies to help. There is a risk of becoming dependent on the zopax family of meds if one takes them continuously for over 2 months
Anxiety, and especially panic disorder, responds well to two different methods of treatment - drug also used to treat depression ( and Zopax / Xanax is NOT an antidepressant ) ; and psychological treatment known as CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a form of talking treatment that helps you gain control over your anxiety.

1