Question
Posted by: Gloria | 2012/01/16

Zoloft and weight gain

Good day

My doctor prescribed Zoloft last week (50 mg) since it is apparently safe during pregnancy. I''m on Cymgen at the moment but I will be weaning myself off Cymgen and going onto Zoloft while trying to fall pregnant.

I have two questions:

1) I read on the internet that many people experience severe weight gain on Zoloft. I really gained weight on Cymgen and I''m reluctant to gain more weight. Do you agree that Zoloft can cause significan weight gain?

2) My psychiatrist says that Zoloft is safe during pregnancy but the leaflet that I received with the medication states otherwise. What is your opinion?

I would appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Gloria

1) Zoloft may cause either a weight decrease or weight increase. However, I cant see you gaining more weight than you've already gained with the Cymgen.
2) Zoloft have been prescribed across the planet during pregnancy in a limited number of patient. Although all potential effects are not very well known yet (the reason for warning in product information), no increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the human fetus have been observed. Although most probably safe, you may wish to ask your gynae's opinion too once you fall pregnant.

All the best!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/01/17

Hi Gloria

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist