Posted by: Susan | 2012-11-14

Zoloft &  Ativan SL 1mg

Dear Cybershrink, I hope you are well today. I am currently entering my 3rd week on Zoloft (started off on 25mk and 2nd week on 50mg. My pshyciatrist has given me ativan 1mg SL to help with any anxiety I might experience. They tested my blood and did an EEG on my brain and all came back normal. I have what is know as Generelised Anxiety Disorder that just started about a month ago. I have been really good with the Ativan, taking between a 1/4 and a 1/2 a day. I have never really needed more that this. My question is how long does it usually take to feel the full effect of Zoloft? Will I be able to eventually leave the Ativans out completely. I am also seeing a pshycologist as the 2 doctors believe mine is alot of emotional buildup. Could you give my any advise on how long it will take and what I can expect when it does start working? Any tell tale signs to let me know that it is now reaching balancing level? Thank you so much. xxxx

Its hard to predicty how long it should take for particular treatments to work. generally, antidepressants need some t2o to three weeks to show whether they are going to be helpful. Remember that only 60-70 % of us respond well the thr first AD tried, so any competent shrink continues to monitor and assess the response to medication, and should be ready to recognize when a drug is not proving useful, and to substirute another.
Psychological counselling can be very helpful indeed in depression or anxiety disorder, but the best evidence is only in favour of CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and closely related methods, and not the old-fashioned wishy-washy analytic methods. Sometimes your spopuse or pother close family members may notice improvements in you before you do.