Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/05/15

Zoloft

Hi doctor
I have been prescribed Zolof for post natal depression and anxiety. I have been on the meds for about 1 month. I started taking 25mg for one week then 50mg for one week then 75 mg for one week , I am currently on 100mg for one week but I feel terrible. I feel as if i am read to explode and go psychotic.i am thinking about hurting myself and others and killing myself. I will never do it but it feels like im about to go mad. my baby is 7 and a half months and I feel so anxcious when i am with her because i feel that i am going to lose it. could it be the dose thats too high ? should i go back down to about 50mg

Obviously you need to discuss this rather urgently with your treating and prescribing doctor. You seem to be saying that the medication was tolerable at lower doses, but has begun distressing you when the dose reached 100 mg ?
50 mg a day would be the usual dosage, though higher doses are used at times. I'd think it wise to go back to 50 mg a day, and contact your doc fairly urgently, as you shouldn't be left to feel this bad for any longer than necessary, and tell him frankly exactly how bad you have been feeling on this dose, and ask for a revision of the plan

2
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/05/17

Hi Lee

I also started on Zoloft for PND, and it was ok, although I also had to take some anti-anxiety meds at times even though being on 75 mg per day. I swopped over to Fluoxetine (Prozac) before I fell pregnant with my second son, and it worked much better than the Zoloft. I started on 20 mg, went up to 40 mg at a stage, and then back to 20 mg where I''ve been for almost 2 years now. Maybe it will be the same for you - and you can swop to fluoxetine without needing to wash out the Zoloft. Good luck there, and take care of yourself!!

Reply to Racoon