Question
Posted by: Daff | 2010-02-16

Zoloft

I have been on various anti-depressants for about 12 years. I am currently on Zoloft - 2 per day. I would like to wean myself off them - can you tell me how to do it !
thanks

This is such a frequently asked question. It is part of the absolute duty of the prescribing doctor to give this advice in every case, as so much may depend on the individual's condition and other details he knows and I don't.
Some people have no problem at all in coming off these meds. Its adviseable generally, though, to come off more gradually than a suddent stop. With a tablet, if you're taking 2 tablets a day, you can break them in half and take 1 1.2 a day for several days, then 1, then 1/2, before stopping after several more days. If at any reduction of dose you have unpleasant symptoms, go back to the last dose on which you felt fine, and call the doctor for further advice.

1