Question
Posted by: Almost mom to be | 2008/05/28

Zoloft

I need some advice, one dr says one thing and another dr says another thing. i am totally lost.
I have been on Zoloft (50g) per day for about 7 months now, for anxiety attacks. But my husband and i want to have a baby. Should i go off Zoloft and risk getting panic attacks again or can i stay on zoloft while pregnant.
Please let me know if Zoloft can hurt a baby at all??
I would appreciate that.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Am2b

Sertraline if used during pregnancy does hold an element of risk. The benefits of taking sertraline for your specific
situation and the potential risks to the baby should first be considered by your gynae and a decision should be made accordingly.

Then again, going through your pregnancy depressed is also not ideal as studies have shown that when depression is left untreated during pregnancy your baby may also be put at risk.

Only your doctor can best determine whether or not you should stop taking sertraline during pregnancy.

Regarding your question "if Zoloft can hurt a baby at all", the answer unfortunately is yes, it can.

Best of luck!