Question
Posted by: Anon | 2011-03-25

Zolnox while pregnant

Hi Doctor,

Please advise me regarding taking 1/3 of a Zolnox tablet while being pregnant. I''ve read a lot about it on the internet and some women say they took Ambien while pregnant with no negative effects.

I''ve been sleeping very poorly since the birth of my first child (as a result of post-natal depression), and thus have been taking the Zolnoxs. I have been able to cut it to a third of a tablet.

I want to get pregnant now, but not sure if I can go without the Zolnoxs, what if I start going all crazy because of a lack of sleep, that can also not be good for the new baby???

It is not a good idea to become addicted to sleeping tablets and now may be a good time to try to wean yourself off them.
Cases of severe neonatal respiratory depression have been reported when zolpidem was used at the end of pregnancy, especially when taken with other CNS depressants.

Zolpidem has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed evidence of incomplete ossification and increased postimplantation fetal loss at doses greater than seven times the maximum recommended human dose or higher; however, teratogenicity was not observed at any dose level. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-03-29