Question
Posted by: boo | 2009-06-28

ZMA / URBANOL

Hi doc now I need some help hehe, this morning I woke up with a severe panic attack my heart raced and my entire body went cold I freaked out I took 2mg of ativan SL and it subsided but I had to take another 2mg for it to totally subside. Im trying to figure out what caused this I havnt had an attack for practically 2 months now is it possible that the ZMA caused this, zma contains magnesium aspartate, zinc monomethionine aspartate and Vit B6 I know its not the XANOR 0.5mg SR because I was never taking it regular. You see when my relapsed occured last year the day I got the panic attack a few days before that I had started ZMA is there a chance it could be this? I hope not because it really makes me feel good and gives me strength also it helps my skin. Now my psych is at a congress my gp put me on urbanol he says it doesnt make me very tired and will help me for the week if doesnt make me tired all the better let me know your thoughts!

Wouldn't it be advisable for you to re-visit your doc prescribing the Artivan SL ? Ativan can help to abort panic attacks, but doesn't remove the causes, and other drugs including some used also as ADs, can help relieve the problem. The problem with products like ZMA is that they sneak past the requirements for registration as a medicine ( which saves them an enormous amount of money ) but this means that none of the research we'd need to know EXACTLY how they operate in the body, and whether they might interact with other drugs and meds, is done. You surely don't NEED to be taking the ZMA or any other supplment. Why not stop it, and see how the proper meds on their own, help ? Absolutely NOTHING in ZMA could possibly make you, or anyone else, feel good --- that's just a placebo effect. Urbanol for a week might help, and your psych should be back soon, and can review the whole picture properly.
I'd still like to see CBT in place to help you cope more effectively when you do start to feel anxious or panicky.