Posted by: Tisha | 2013-01-27

Zinc and Sperm Count

My husband has been diagnosed with a low sperm count, seeing that fertility treatment is quite pricey I was wondering if he could use Zinc supplements to boost his sperm count. Would that work?
Also I wanted to find out if there are any gynea''s in jhb that can do IUI as opposed to proper ferility specialists as I am trying to avoid the costs. Please kindly let me knowm thanks

Dear Tisha
Although zinc has shown to have some effect on sperm parameters, it is very unlikely that simply supplementing with zinc would be sufficient to ...sperm count as such. There are other more simple and effective medications to enhance the count provided that this is the only problem that has been noted on the sperm analysis. In my experience this is rarely the case and i am certain that there would be other related abnormalities and I would strongly recommend that you get an opinion or that you evaluate the sperm analysis more carefully. I refer in particular to the morphology and motility criteria of the sperm analysis apart from the sperm count as well. With regard IUI being done by a normal gynaecologist i would certainly not recommend this as a primary option, due to the fact that the sperm preparation that is involved in the IUI needs to be done in a laboratory which deals with fertility problems and this is essentially where most of the cost lies. Your normal gynaecologist would therefore have to outsource this sperm preparation to a fertility unit.
Answered by: Dr M.I.Cassim

Posted by: Tisha | 2013-02-06

Dear Dr. Cassim

I have been to a Fertility Clinic in Sandton and according to them it was only the sperm count that was the problem, everything else as was explained to us was fine. I did one IUI with them however accordign to them there is no medication to boost sperm count at all hence we did the IUI. Is there perhaps a 2nd opinion/assistance i could get from another fertility clinic in jhb area?

Reply to Tisha
Posted by: wajshoubert | 2013-01-30

I have been diagnosed for low sperm count, how could I increase my sperm count, Is it going to lower the chances for my wife to fall pregnent.

Reply to wajshoubert