Question
Posted by: New Puppy/ies | 2012-06-08

Zena

Sir

I am hoping you will be able to assist me.

I currently have 2 dogs, both 8 years old. Male GSD (the boss!) and a Labrador (Female, spayed).

I want to get another puppy (or maybe even 2). Can you advise breeds and gender?

I am sure the female will have no problem with either, she is a happy, slightly crazy lady. But am worried about the GSD as he is very domineering and posessive. In fact, he believes he is second in charge in the household. Second only to my son who is his " owner" 

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Zena, nice to hear from you and I wish that all owners were like you and thought decisions like this through first - my congrats!

I honestly would not even consider bringing in another dog or pup until you have sorted out the current behaviour of your GSD, to do so is to open yourself up to heartache and failure.

what you need to remember is that when we bring dogs into our lives we create a human/canine pack and the only person should be the 'boss' is the owner and the rest of the family.

What I would suggest you do is to first click on the link at the bottom to an article on my free website on something called House Rules and bring these in first and make sure GSD behaviour has improved. Your chances of success are then going to be higher.

Before you do so, I would like you to seriously consider even getting another dog. The reason i say this, is that you have a pack that is working well together, please examine carefully your reason for wanting another dog before you do this. another dog could upset the current pack, is another dog to walk and play and feed, never mind the vets bills etc. Just take a bit of time to think it through before you do so please.

Nice to have been in touch and the link is below, thanks Scotty

http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/house-rules-for-puppies.html

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-06-08

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert