Posted by: Shay | 2008-12-18

yuppie flu

Dear Doc
I have read with interest your past accounts on Yuppie Flu in particular, Epstein Barr Virus. It has made me doubt my doctors diagnosis of me with EBV. I am suffering night sweats for sometime now and major fatigue decided to consult my GP who did a battery of blood tests, TB, Glandular fever, etc. everything is fine except that it found I have a severe viral infection as my white blood cell count is low (I think) - immune system is depleted. also did a chest x-ray as I have shortness of breath - nothing. her diagnosis is a type of EBV linked to Yuppie flu. her treatment - Periodic Indogram injections and vitamin supplements with consistent monitoring. do you suggest I get a second opinion as I am sceptical of the Yuppie flu theory.

Hi Shay
"yuppie flu" is a valid diagnosis but is a condition that develops over time (6 months) and presents with chronic fatique and severe muscle aches and pains. Many of the viral infections connected to yuppie flu are actually quite common - most of us have had an EBV infection or Cytomegalovirus infections somewhere in our lifetime, so a positive test is not an indication of yuppie flu. The diagnosis is difficult as one has to exclude all the other causes of chronic tiredness - see
Chronic fatique syndrome is not common and only a very small % of people is in the end true CFS sufferers.
Read this article on chronic fatique syndrome: They think it is caused by a immunological problem and abnormal reaction to pain, and treatment is medicine as well as psychological as this usually leads to depression and anxiety.
A lot of viruses and some bacteria like tick bite fever can cause severe tiredness for up to 6 weeks after the infection - this is not CFS or yuppie flu, but a side effect of the infection,.