Posted by: Sue | 2009-10-13

(yr old with ADHD

Hi Doc (Me again - so many issues so little time!!:)

My daughter is 9, she was diagnosed with ADHD by her Paed at age 7, after her teacher suggested testing for it. Her Paed suspected it it from age 4, but wanted to monitor it through her first year of primary school.
She has been on Straterra for the last 2 years, and whilst it helps her alot, we still have some very rough days. I know that is to be expected, but she has these overemotional over reactions and is like a terrier with a bone, the tantrums are pretty bad when they happen, and at the end it all, I feel like an absolute failure. As I' ve said before, I' m a single mom, I dont have any support structure at all, so I cant bounce ideas or stresses of anyone. My daughter pushes me to the very edge of sanity, and I end up feeling like a completely useless mother. I' ve bought books on ADHD, and they are very helpfull, but when one of these everemotional excessive events kicks off, I just dont know what to do and how to best handle it anymore.
Any advice?
Thank you so much!

Sorry, folks, but as I have to rush to Durban for an emergency. Though drugs can be very helpful in ADHD, I still think the advice of a child psychologist, who can assess the child and discuss managing her tantrums, with you, would be wise.

You are very far from being a useless mother ( and generally, useless mothers never worry that they might be just that ). But the psychologist could also recommend local support groups that could be useful. Almost Mad sounds like a good idea with ADHASA.

Posted by: almost mad | 2009-10-13

You must check out the ADHASA website. Just google it. When i was in Joburg I met one of the founders, heather picton, and she was such a wonderful person. She worked with people and sorted out diet plans etc. All you had to pay for was a membership of about around R420 for the year. It is so worth it. They are a support group who help you with everything. They have branches all over. contact them, you wont regret it. She helped me with my depression and anxiety.

Reply to almost mad