Question
Posted by: philippa | 2011/02/07

your referral

doc, on this forum you suggested a couple of neurologists specialising in alzheimer''s. I went to one of them and paid R750 for a cursory neurological exam like they teach you in first aid class and a quiz almost identical to the one I got off the internet that tells if it''s likely you have alzheimer''s. I was disgusted and although I do not want to be defamatory to anyone, I wish I could in this instance! So a warning to everyone, when you go to a specialist your GP doesn''t know, do some research on the specialist first.

Hallo Philippa
I know you may not want to name the doctor but could you please give me an indication of in which area he/she practices - I'll know who it is. I am sad to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience as one would expect a full and proper examination at a neurologist. Unfortunately there are no blood tests or scans that will show up Alzheimer so they would normally start with a medical examination, history and a patient questionnaire to determine whether there are signs of Alzheimers.
http://alzheimers.about.com/od/diagnosisofalzheimers/a/diagnosis.htm

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/08

Hallo Philippa