Question
Posted by: rp | 2008/08/19

your opinion

HI there

I' d like to know what your take on " negative calories"  are. I might seem paranoid, but i don' t believe in it. I believe the only negative calories come from water, and maybe lettuce and cucumber. I have seen lists which show apples, oranges, and many fruits as negative calories, but clearly, a calorie is a calorie......and it WILL add up....

Could you help me clarify this?

Dear RP
Yes, a calorie is a calorie, but some foods contain so little energy (most of the food is actually water which contains zero calories), that you use up more energy digesting the food than it contains. Foods with a 'negative calorie' content include: lettuce, gherkins, tomatoes, grapefruit, watercress, berries, celery, cucumber - but it is impossible to survive on these foods alone. One would also have to eat such large amounts of any of these foods to attain the amount of energy in say a tablespoon of oil or a slab of chocolate that you would be eating all day long.