Posted by: Amanda J. | 2012-11-15

Young Chemotherapy Effects on Fertility

My partner had chemotherapy in his pre teen days for 2 years for treatment of cancer. It was a slow, 2 year process with no contact with Radioactive Iodine like an adult would be treated with today. He had a catheter in his chest which pumped chemicals to his heart.

He''s been in remission for almost 20 years and I''m concerned about his ability to conceive. We haven''t started trying for children but I wanted to get some advice before I start worrying.

Dear Amanda J
There is a strong relationship between chemotherapy and fertility. Chemotherapeutic drugs affect rapid growing cells and therefore would definitely affect spermatogenesis. I would suggest that your partner undergo a semen analysis, and if all the parameters are with in normal limits, the chemotherapy would have not affected fertility in his case.
Answered by Dr Y.M.Dasoo