Question
Posted by: Mel Heydenrych | 2010/09/10

Young bitch on heat  attacking our other dogs

Our youngest is a boerbullxlab and is on heat at the moment along with her best mate, a " sausage" -she has taken on the dominant female and then this morning her own mom (with whom she maintains a close relationship) and was out to kill on both occassions. My husband is of the opinion that she is in fact guarding the sausage and grabs who ever comes near her although we have not witnessed the prelude to the attacks. She is otherwise a well adjusted loving pet-now she wont even come to me if I call her,she just stares at me. Please help& mdash -really worried about our " little"  girl!

Hi Mel

I would advise that you take both the dogs to the vet and get their heat suppressed. The bahaviour that you are experiencing is due to hormonal changes. Maybe you should consider getting them spayed ? .

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/11

You are playing with fire... inter-female aggression is a horrible thing to have to deal with, and if the problem is not (and maybe it cannot be) nipped in the bud, you will end up with an unresolveable problem. Instead of ''interpreting'' the behaviour in human terms, get your vet involved, and also possibly a behaviourist.

I''m sure if you do an archive search on this site, on ''aggression'' or ''inter-female aggression'', you will find more information.

I have had to deal with this problem, and it''s not fun. I ended up having to keep two bitches completely segregated from each other... it was either that, or rehome one. No way could they be together.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/10

Hi Mel

Reply to CyberVet