Posted by: Liz | 2009-10-16

Young &  fit with high blood pressure

I have discovered this week that I have high blood pressure - around 170/110 consistently over the last few days. I' m a 31 year old female, very fit, thin and I eat healthy. I' ve always had low blood pressure and don' t understand where this is coming from. Have started taking 10mg of Roaccutaine 2weeks ago. Not sure if it could be related. Went to my GP and he did not seem to be concerned about my blood pressure. He said to monitor it and call him in two weeks if it does not come down to 140/100. However, I am very concerned, since it' s never been high and since I have a very healthy lifestyle. Not sure what to do about this and what is causing it.

Normal blood pressure is 110/70. Ask your doctor to do a 24 hour blood pressure monitor to determine what your blood pressure is doing over a 24 hour period. This test will give a clear indication if treatment is necessary.

Roaccutane can also cause allevated blood pressure.