Posted by: Marcelle | 2012-11-22

Yorkie : strange eating habit

I have a yorkie that I rescued..... he is a beautiful littole dog and with love and care and attention his personality changed. His eating habits are strange! though... he buries everything I give him to eat! even the smallest kibble pellets he will bury one by one under furniture.... (never in the garden!!!!
He also eats monkey drooppings :( that surely cant be good! He does have a digestive problem that causes him to bloat from time to time and therefore I watch his diet... boil chicken and try to give nothing with fat..... Previous vet I took him to suggested Zantac and I give that to him every now and then for the digestive part... but anything i can do to discourage him eating monkey poo? and how to get him out of the habit of burying everything!!! ? Thanks!

Some dogs like to bury things. You can try to interrupt the unwanted behaviour by rewarding wanted behaviour. With regards to him eating the monkey droppings - dogs tend to eat most kind of feaces. This is probably due to the pheromones in the feaces. (A pheromone is a chemical an animal produces and excretes into the environment.)

Posted by: Jenna | 2012-11-26

My dog also buries everything, but Idon''t worry about it because I know she will go and eat it when she gets hungry. They save it for a rainy day, I reckon.

With regards to eating the poo, it tastes good to them. As disgusting as we think it is, it is a treat for them. I read once that putting powered meat tenderizer on other animal poo stops them from eating it.

Reply to Jenna