Question
Posted by: Lanie | 2008/10/10

Yorkie spayed continuous infection?

Dear CyberVet
I have a 6 year old Yorkie and she got spayed in April this year. After that her vet diagnosed her with Cushing Syndrome, she was on medication for this, and since being spayed she gets regularly bladder infection, she gets antibiotic, the problem stops, but returns after a couple of days. She urinates blood during the infection. I am getting seriously worried about this, is this because of the Cushing Syndrome (which medication has been ceased by the vet) or what do you suggest I should do?
Thanks so much.

Dear Lanie

Discuss diets with your vet that will reduce the risk of bladder infections. With Cushings syndrome the high levels of cortisone reduce the body's immune system so this makes them more prone to infection. I do not suspect it is spay related.

Cushings needs close monitoring and treatment. It is seldom cured just managed. I think a fresh look at Cushings and the bladder is needed.

1
Posted by: Lanie | 2008/10/10

CyberDoc
I forgot to mention that she keeps on licking on stuff - the carpet, grass, blankets, tiles on the floor and even our legs.
Why could this be? She has a good appetite and enjoys her food.
Thanks again!

Reply to Lanie