Question
Posted by: Karina | 2011/07/26

Yorkie runs into street

I have a two year old Yorkshire Terrier who loves to " visit"  the neighbours across the street as well as next to us. I gave him hidings, but as soon as he has the chance he " escapes" . I''m terrified that he will get hit by a car or stolen. Please help!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Karina, this really is a worrying situation as the chance of the dog getting run over are very real and the behaviour is self rewarding to the dog. I would suggest that you use a combination of management and training.
Make that area out of bounds to the dog, especially while training. Train the dog to wait/stay, in one particular area (near the front door etc)and only move away when given the cue to do so. this is not at all hard to do, just takes a lot of practise and total consistency to achieve. You can get hold of a trainer who can show you how to do this. the important thing is not to go too fast. Teaching a dog a reliable wait/stay is like building a house - if the foundations are not solid, you will get cracks.
The last solution, which I dont like and will only use if all other efforts have failed, is to get a crowd in that does the doggy electric wire for gates. What happens here is that an electric wire is placed across the entrance to the gate and the dog wears a collar that when it passes a particular spot it receives a shock - see why I dont like it!
I really would suggest that before you try this you get hold of a trainer who comes to the house and shows you exactly how to do the training. Also make sure that you are giving your dog enough physical and mental stimulation so that visiting the dog next door is not as appealing. How lucky you are to have a social dog! Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert