Question
Posted by: New Yorkie Owner | 2010/01/06

Yorkie Pup

Dear Cybervet,

I hope you can assist me.

I have tried my best to have the following questions answered but have ended up only being more confused due to receiving contradicting information.

I have recently bought a Yorkie pup and will get her in a few weeks when she is six/seven weeks old.
The breeder informed me that she weighed 72g the day she was born.
I am desirous (and I know it is not always a good idea) to have a small dog when fully grown.

The pup weighed as follows:

1 week - 152g
2 weeks - 195g
3 weeks - 250g
4 weeks - 249g
5 weeks - 300g

Is it at all possible to estimate the weight of the dog when fully grown? And if so, what would you say she is likely to weigh when grown?
Up to what age will the pup be growing –  i.e. at what age will she be fully grown?

I hope you can help!

Thank you.

Dear New Yorkie owner

All I can help you with is that dog normally do most of their growing before about nine months of age.

The rest is all breeder bla, bla, bla so best to get hold of one that likes to bla, bla.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/01/09

Dear New Yorkie owner

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: DITI | 2010/01/07

hi there,

generally weight and features play a part in estimating the adult weight, which cannot be accurately predicted, so dont let anyone fool you!!! i have found, as a breeder , from personal experience that the birth weight has little to do with the final adult weight of the pup, (which reaches an optimal weight at about 6 months). i would roughly estimate her adult weight to reach 1.5kg. hope this can assist you. your yorkie will reach , what we term fort he public' s sake, as a pocket. (altho borderline between pocket and teacup)
trust this to have assisted you:)
regards
diti lotter
cell 0791888777

Reply to DITI