Question
Posted by: Bella | 2011-02-20

Yorkie-housebreaking issues

My Yorkie-girl is a year and 3 months old now. She goes through stages where she doesn''''t mess in the house at all... The door is always open to go outside (we just close the security gate, but she can get through easily). She started doing both number 1''''s and number 2''''s in our study (after our male staffie marked the study.) Now I''''ve closed the door to the study, so they can only get in when I''''m working there. The yorkie started pooing all over the house now...She still goes outside to do her number 1 though?

I don''''t know what to do anymore - as all yorkie books says that you are not supposed to hit them on the bum? I''''ve started taking a rolled up newspaper and giving her a smack and telling her it''''s bad.

the thing is, if she did mess somewhere - she goes nowhere near because she knows that it''''s wrong. And if I get toiletpaper to start picking it up, she runs outside because she''''s afraid of getting a smack. So why does she keep doing it?

I love my dog dearly. She goes with everywhere, we take them on walks and to the beach etc. but still she can just be impossible.

PLEASE help as I''''m losing my mind and its causing huge issues with me and my fiance!!!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Bella, lovely to hear from you. First thing to do is to clean all the areas that have been marked with a product such as 'Pee off' or similar that you can get from the vet. Another alternative is to use 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water and clean throughly. Unfortunately as good as some household cleaners can smell to us, the majority contain amonia and that makes it smell even more like a toilet to a dog! Additionally, unless you actually catch the dog in the 'act' any attention given to this at all will only make the behaviour worse! Attention is attention to a dog whether negative or positive. Additionally a dog really doesnt know it has done wrong, what is happening is it is picking up on your body language and realizes its in trouble but really does not associate why.

Rather go right back to the beginning like when you got her and retrain. To make it more rewarding to the dog, reward with a treat when she eliminates and verbal praise such as 'good weewee's'. The dog will always work for what is in its best interests and anything that is rewarded tends to be performed more. Have a look at the 'Friends' website which you will see on my CV with Health 24 and go to the section under Puppies, toilet training and it will give you a lot of help. If you are still battling, please dont hesitate to contact me - good luck! Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-02-21

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert