Question
Posted by: Lala | 2009-10-07

Yorkie

I had a terrible experience 2 nights ago with my Yorkie and I was so afraid that he might have the condition called " Bloat" . He was trying to vomit but nothing came out and his stomach was very noisy - like cramping. I did not want to call the vet because it was in the middle of the night. It lasted almost 2 hours but now he is fine again. It almost sounded that he had swallowed some air and he was trying to get rid of it.

Is there something specific to look for to know for certain that a dog has bloat because I know it can kill quickly.

Thanks for your advice.

Dear Lala

I have never seen a Yorkie with bloat. It may have been gas in the stomach but you only see bloat in large dogs. I don't think you need to take any precautions.

2
Posted by: annon | 2009-10-26

how will i know the signs?

Reply to annon
Posted by: Chill | 2009-10-07

For the sake of large-dog owners reading this: if you really suspect bloat, or stomach torsion, do NOT wait until morning - by that time your dog will in all likelihood have died in dreadful agony.

Bloat is a serious, serious emergency.

Reply to Chill