Question
Posted by: JEAN | 2013/02/12

YOGURT DEBATE

HI DOC

WHY IS IT THAT I HAVE ACID REFLUX WHEN I EAT FAT FREE YOGURT AND NOT WITH LOW FAT YOGURT. WHICH IS THE HEALTHIER TO EAT AS I AM TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT

Dear Jean
I am not sure why you should experience acid reflux when you eat fat-free yoghurt (0,3% fat) and not when you have low-fat (2% fat) yoghurt. If you eat the same brand of yoghurt and the only difference is the fat content, then it is possible that the small amount of fat in the 2% yoghurt helps a bit to line your oesophagus and thus prevents you from feeling discomfort from the reflux. Both fat-free and low-fat yoghurt are healthy foods that are regarded as beneficial when you are trying to lose weight. Plain, unsweetened fat-free yoghurt has a lower energy content (e.g. 177 kJ/100g) compared to plain, unsweetened low-fat yoghurt (233 kJ/100g).