Question
Posted by: Angela | 2012-05-04

Yoghurt for toddlers

Hi Diet doc,
I have a two year old that is basically becoming a yoghurt lover and always wants yogi, as she says. The full cream versions are not as easy to get as the low fat versions, especially the small tub packs and these are a bit more expensive than the low fat 1Litres available. is it bad to feed toddlers the low fat type of fruit yoghurt. She also loves cheese (full cream) which she gets almost daily, and eggs but has gone off meat quite a bit lately. She eats fish, but not really mince or chicken. Other protein sources I give are baked beans which she also enjoys.

Many thanks for your input

Dear Angela
Yoghurt is an excellent food being rich in high quality protein and calcium. You don't mention if your 2-year-old daughter still drinks any full-cream milk? but I presume she now prefers yoghurt. If she has low-fat yoghurt, but does eat full cream cheese and eggs and fish then she should certainly be getting adequate quantities of high quality protein, calcium, iron and zinc (esp from the eggs and fish), and essential fatty acids (esp from the cheese and fish), so I think her diet appears to be adequate in regard to these nutrients. It is also a good idea to introduce toddlers to sources of plant protein such as the baked beans and other legumes (dry cooked or canned beans, peas, lentils and soya) so that they learn to include these healthy foods in their diets for the rest of their lives.

2
Posted by: ZANDILE | 2012-05-09

I HAVE A 14MONTH OLD AS WELL AND HE LOVES YOGURT. I HAD A PROBLEM THAT HE DOESN''T DRINK FULL CREAM MILK REGULARLY BECAUSE I''M STILL BREASTFEEDING HIM. SPAR HAS SMALL TUB YOGURTS CALLED SQUILLOS, THEY ARE FULL CREAM. MAYBE TRY TO GET THEM THERE.

Reply to ZANDILE
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-05-06

Dear Angela