Question
Posted by: Michael Chinnu | 2011/07/04

Yoghurt - Eczema

Interesting article! I have abstained from all dairy products, eggs, red meat and wheat. This is helping in the control of eczema and skin allergies. How does Yoghurt fit in for my issue whilst it is good for the colon issue?

Dear Michael
The diet for eczema is usually helpful in children, rather than adults, so you can probably use yoghurt, which as you mention, is good for the colon and will also still supply you with calcium which you will not be ingesting if you cut out all dairy products. Yoghurt is often acceptable to patients who are allergic to milk sugar (lactose), because the lactose is used up during the fermentation process that turns milk into yoghurt. Because you are avoiding so many nutrient-dense foods, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a balanced diet and/or nutrient supplements to boost your calcium, iron, zinc, and protein intakes.

1

Dear Michael