Question
Posted by: Lee | 2011/04/06

Yoga to handle emotional turmoil

Hi, I have just broken up with my boyfriend and feel quite emotional and bitter about it. But besides that, I have always had anger issues which I believe stems from rejection from my dad when I was 9 years old. I feel intense anger from people who reject me, especially men.

Can yoga help me to control this anger? I tend to be violent and out of control when I am angry. I would like my body, mind and spiril to be in sync as sometimes I think one thing and end up doing the opposite, I would like to be in control and in the moment.

What about Bhikra Yoga for beginners? If yes, how often should I do it?

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Lee

Yoga is a science and practice aimed at the ability to unite our small selves with our highest self. It is a lifelong process which acts as a guide for us to access whatever is coming up within ourselves and provides tools to help us deal with it. One of the most beneficial things yoga can teach you- is to gain a deeper awareness of yourself. You already sound quite in touch with the issues that are troubling you- and have a clear way of describing them. A practice of yoga can perhaps help you to gain a greater balance and a clearer outlook that would enable you to break habitual habit patterns and make more conscious choices.
I am not particularly enamoured with Bikram yoga practice as I feel it has too much focus on the physical aspects of yoga which are such a small part of the gift of what yoga is. I would recommend that you look out for a Satyananda Yoga school or Sivananda Yoga school in your area as both these schools focus on Yoga in an integrated sense.

1
Posted by: yoga | 2011/04/11

Hi Lee

Reply to yoga