Question
Posted by: Christo | 2010/09/21

yoga and back and hip stretches

HI there i have a probllem with my back injury,maybee you can help me my back leggs and knees r very stiif and i haver very little movement in my hips.Do you have any advice or stretchess you can email me?THANKS Christo

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Christo,

There are a set of practices that you can do called Pawanmuktasana Series 1. They work on each joint in the body separately. There are 3 for the knees and 3 for the hips for example. These practices help you take you awareness to the specific part of the body and through regular practice will help rejuvenate and revitalise that joint, making them flexible and supple. I would recommend going real slow and working with these practices only for a few months before moving into any of the more intermediate postures. When I started out, my hips were so stiff that when I sat down and crossed my legs, my knees were near my ears. Now I can sit comfortably cross legged. But it took about a year of daily practice. It was worth it, you not only will improve flexibility in your joints, but the mind becomes, focused and creative and the whole body relaxes. You also develop a better relationship with the body. The practices are described in the book Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bhanda by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. You can purchase it through www.vedicbooks.co.za or contact me at info@satyanandayoga.co.za as we have a few in stock.

2
Posted by: yoga | 2010/09/27

Hi Christo,

Reply to yoga
Posted by: yoga | 2010/09/27

Hi Christo,

Reply to yoga