Question
Posted by: Bev | 2012/02/08

Yo-yo weight

6 years ago I decided I had had enough of my rather large body, weighing in at 97,2kg was taking it''s toll on me. Three years later I was down to 70kg and was feeling great! My father passed away suddenly and I rebelled against everything which has now resulted in my weight being back up to 80kg. I feel disgusting and look even worse! I have no motivation although I really want this weight off. I really don''t know where to start anymore and am so confused! I have had to cancel my gym membership because we are battling financially, but I have taken up swimming and am currently managing to swim nearly 2 kilometers per night twice a week but I am not seeing any changes and feel like I am wasting my time! I have gone from a size 14 pants to size 20 and it is depressing me to a point where life just seems to be a burden and a constant struggle for me. I have lost the confidence I once had, I am also not sleeping either....max 4 and a half hours a night! Please help...where do I start? I am a 40 year old woman am 1,68 m tall and weigh in at 80kg!!!! Why can I not get it right a second time? I am also on 0.5mg Azor as I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety.

Dear Bev
I hear what you say and can understand that you are desperate. I wonder if you have ever come to terms with the loss of your dear Father? I somehow don't think so. I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist to discuss your loss, your reactions to the loss which you say included rebellion and possibly increased eating, and also your panic attacks and anxiety. Please mention that you are taking Azor as I see in my copy of MIMS that Azor can cause insomnia and "inhibition of psychological adjustment in bereavement". The psychologist will have to evaluate which psychological factors are driving you to overeat and which are sapping your motivation and help you to come to terms with your loss in a less destructive fashion. Once you are in better control of your emotional reactions you know full well what steps to take to lose weight seeing that you managed to lose 27,2 kg before. To achieve a nice balanced BMI of 24, you need to weigh 65 kg, which entails a loss of 15 kg - only about half of what you lost previously, so it should be attainable.
Please do continue with your swimming as this is an excellent aerobic exercise that you can use to stimulate your metabolism and help you to lose weight, but keep in mind that it takes time.
Holding thumbs that you will consult a psychologist and sort out the factors that hamper you from moving forward.

1

Dear Bev