Question
Posted by: Judy | 2012/03/19

Yo-Yo Dieter

Hi Doc,
I''ve been a yo-yo dieter for quite some time now and I''ve just read your article about yo-you dieting and its effect on your metabolism, etc. The last high protein diet I was on some two years ago I lost a whopping 27kg and only managed to keep it off for about one year, I''ve almost picked up all that weight again once I started eating unbalanced and a lot of starch again! I''m now so discouraged, I just can''t seem to get back on track with a diet, I don''t want to join another diet again like Weightwatchers or Weighless as it is a lot of money to spend once again and I''m not sure if I''m successfull in loosing all the weight again if I will this time manage to keep it off! I understand that the best and healthiest way will be to loose the weight slowly but surely, but now I''m at that point again where I''m desperate and want a quick fix, typical woman, I want instant gratification. Where do I start now? Please help me Diet Doc!
Judy

Dear Judy
Well you are realistic enough to understand that you want a quick fix for a situation that has taken a long time to reach this point. You have also realised that although your lost masses of weight with the high protein diet, you could not sustain that type of diet and that you have regained practically all the weight you lost. So there is only the option of being sensible this time around. Spend the money on Weigh-Less or Weight Watchers, because their approach really works and it gives you moral support which improves the long-term success rate of their programmes. You need to eat a balanced diet with a reduced energy and fat content and you do need to start doing some form of daily exercise - one step at a time. If you are not able to stick to your guns, then perhaps using motivational tapes from Innertalk or Motivators ( www.innertalk.com or www.motivators.co.za)may be a factor that strengthens your resolve.
Wishing you all the best

1

Dear Judy
Wishing you all the best