Posted by: Liezel | 2011-08-22

Yellow fever and malaria

We, me, my husband and our 8 year old son will be travelling to Vic Falls and Chobe, via Livingstone Airport from 05/10/11 - 09/10/11. Our travel agent at Gateway travel ensures us that we need yellow fever certificates, but when we phone the Travel Clinic in Somerset West, they tell us it is''nt necessary.
What is the case? Which malaria medicine would be the best for us? I take the following medication for backpain daily: Tramacet (3 x/day), Epleptin 100 mg (morning and noon) and 300mg (evening) and Trepiline 10mg (evening). My husband use the following for blood pressure an cholesterol daily: Adco-Simvastatin 20mg and Fortzaar 100mg. DO we need a subscription for the malaria medication or can we get it at a chemist?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear Liezel,

It is a requirement of DOH that from 1/10/2011 any one going to Zambia and returning must have a Yellow fever vaccination.

Malaria prophylaxis should be discussed with your Travel Clinic. Malanil would most likely be best choice. You would need a prescription.