Posted by: Excited Traveler | 2009-04-28

Yellow Fever

I am going to be traveling to Tanzania in the next month or two and have been advised that I need to get the Yellow Fever Vaccination. How long before I plan to travel do I need to have this shot and where can I have it done.

Also, I have just had radioactive iodine about 3 weeks ago for my overactive thyroid, will this shot be okay to take after this treatment I am not currently on any further meds. Also would I be okay to take malari tablets?

Dear Excited Traveler
You can get the yellow fever vaccination at a travel clinic near you (netcare travel clinics / Intercare or ask around, most cities have a few) Get your vaccination at least 2 weeks before you travel. You can take malaria tablets. You can't take the vaccine if your immunity is suppressed by the radioactivity, so ask your doctor to do a full blood count before you go for the vaccine to ensure that your white cell count is normal.

Posted by: mirasol | 2015-09-25

Dear cyber doctor, please advise,i had an rai last may 19 due to my thyroid problem,this coming october i have to travel to italy i need to have shot for yellow fever vaccine is this will be fine?my laboratory says im hypothyroid already..thank u..

Reply to mirasol