Posted by: Sadie | 2009-03-19

Yellow fever

I have recently had major surgery my spleen and appendix were ganerous and I had a hiatus hernia repaired and presently recovering. I am travelling to Zanzibar in a few days time. I went to the travel clinic to have a Yellow Fever injection. The sister said that it would give me severe headaches and make me feel very tired. I really don' t want any added pain and tiredness if I can help it. The sister never gave me the yellow fever injection as she said that there have not been many reported cases of yellow fever in the area for a long time now, however she did give me Malanil malaria tablets which I will be taking. I basicall need a second opinion about the yellow fever injection as I also don' t want to land up severly ill when I have just had a major op and am still recovering from weakness and pain.

I look forward to your valued advice.

Dear Sadie
Yellow fever is often required before you can enter the country depending on where you come from.
It seems as if there are conflicting information on whether it is needed, it may be safer to take it anyway. I have had it, and it only hurt my arm quite a bit, but I did not feel nauseous or sick from it. See side effect profile: