Posted by: Lindani | 2011-11-14

Year-long sniffles?

Hi Doc I have massive sinus issues which just seem to be gettting worse over the years. I used to suffer maybe 6 months of the year now it is perennial. Worst is about 3/4 am, where things are so stuffed up I battle to breathe and often get up to take Allergex. I also sometimes chew Airwaves in bed, just out of desperation to breathe.

Everytime I blow my nose all it is is clear runny mucous, never yellow or thick. Half the time I can''t blow anything out although it all feels so clogged up inside from the fluid build-up and swelling. I am fed up, what can I do? I think my biggest allergen is dust mites but as I sit at work right now I am still terribly stuffed up from morning, yet I am sitting where there is just wood and tiles and very short-pile carpet. So if it is dust mites why am I still clogged up. Why am I suffering 24/7 and is summer any worse for perennial sufferers? I breathe properly maybe one hour of the day and have a totally clear nose maybe once a week. I can''t cope with the blowing and sniffling and watery itchy eyes and excessive breathing strain. This is no way to live. I blow the watery mucous out on average every ten mins, throughout the day. Its no way to live.

I suggest that you consult an ENT specialist (ear, nose and throat) for an examination. Your symptoms are long standing and you therefore, need a thorough examination, as well as tests to determine spesific allergens.

In the interim, you can consult your pharmacist for Zyrtec (non-sedating long acting antihistamine). This product is available over the counter and should be taken once daily in the morning.