Question
Posted by: Zea | 2008/08/18

Yasmine and Coffee

I have a very strange question. I know there are some things, when taken together will Yasmine, makes it less effective...is coffee one of them? I know some antibiotics and grapefruit does reduce its effectiveness but was wondering if there are any other foodstuff, medicine etc that can also do this.

No, coffee is fine. Ther are a number of medications which can affect the Pill, so it always wise to check before you take anything.

1
Posted by: Jenna | 2008/08/18

Hi Zea

I am also on Yasmin and have been for the last year. I am not so sure about coffee (you would have to get professional opinion on that one), however I would advise you not to take anything which is anti-viral. For example, I went to a homeopath who recommended I take Grapeseed extract to kill thrush spores he found in my blood. I did this for 3 weeks and was very disconcerted when I had irregular bleeding and spotting between ' periods' . After research on the Internet, I discovered that anti-viral treatments (even if natural as in the case of grapeseed extract) can decrease efficiency of contraceptives.

As soon as I stopped taking the grapeseed, everything went back to normal.

Hope that helps!

Reply to Jenna