Question
Posted by: Jules | 2011/09/13

Yasmin and blood clots

i''ve been on Triphasil for almost 10 years now and decided it''s time for a switch. My gynae prescribed me some Yasmin but now that I''m looking more into it, I see many studies have shown it to be linked to an increased risk of blood clots compared to other BCP which do not contain drospirenone.

MY worry is also, earlier this year (When I was still on Triphasil), I had a long flight (7hrs+), and my legs were incredibly swollen. I never really made the link with the BCP until now. And I know I was on Triphasil at the time, but wouldn''t Yasmin be worse?

Now before I start going on Yasmin, I want to know how serious is this risk and whether I should go on some other BCP?

Which other BCP woudl you recommend?

If you are at risk for leg clots - smoking, over 35, family history,etc, then you should be cautious. Otherwise the risks are there with all the Pills though they may be a bit higher with some. Swollen legs during a flight are most likely from fluid retention rather than clots.

1