Question
Posted by: Nina | 2010/08/30

yakamotos decease

How can I ever control my weight gain with such a decease?. Iam already 12kg overweight and can''t loose :( . Have no energy and feel constantly tired . Thanks for your time

Dear Nina
Do you mean Hashimoto's Disease or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis? If so, I trust that you are being treated for this autoimmune disease by an Endocrinologist (a medical dr who specialises in hormone imbalances)? If not, please ask your gp to refer you to an Endocrinologist. The treatment usually involves replacement of the thyroid hormone that your thyroid gland can no longer make with thyroid hormone replacement medications. If a dr has already prescribed such treatment for you and you are not reacting adequately (i.e. always tired and gaining weight) then you must return to the dr so that the prescription can be adjusted and your thyroid hormone levels can be adjusted. Once you feel better, have more energy and no longer feel so tired, you can use a balanced slimming diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 minutes a day to lose the weight you have gained. But first find out if your thyroid hormone replacement dosage is correct or not, otherwise you will be too tired to exercise and the exercise is important because it stimulates your sluggish metabolism.

1

Dear Nina