Question
Posted by: saha | 2011/09/21

y

I am angry that so many couples are trying to have children. I am angry that trying to conceive a baby is so costly. Think about those that is still going through the depression and trauma of trying to conceive the endless stages women go thru with their husbands. the struggle of getting so much money as 20 to 40 thousand rand to go for ivf. Where in the f world is the sensitivity on this subject. Only in capetown there is provincial fertility clinics. I am angry that so many people are suffering. Why are provincial hospitals not ensuring such facilities for the needy. It''s unfair. It''s not our fault that some of us cant conceive. THERE SHOULD BE A FERTILITY MUNICIPAL CLINIC EVERYWHERE

I hear your grief and anxiety, but there are maybe some reasons why thsi situation is as it is. Trying to conceive a baby is extremely cheap - that's, sadly, why so many people have babies when they don't want and can't afford children.
Until relatively recently, for the many people who CAN'T conceive easily, there was often nothing at all that could be done, and they were just advised to adopt or adjust.
Then a range of fertility treatments became available, and one's expectations changed. Even though they definitely do not work in many cases, there was now hope where there had not been any, and maybe a slightly unrealistic expectation that all fertility problems could be solved, so long as one could get to a clinic and could afford treatment. ( the treatments are expensive for many reasons, not only that scarcity of anything tends to drive up prices - the materials and drugs needed, and the amount of highly specialized time used, are expensive, too) .
I understand your call for municipal fertility clinics in every city, but that doesn't happen even in very much richer countries than ours.
There aren't enough gynae and hormone specialists in the country by a very long way, and there are many other problems, some life-threatening, which they are needed to deal with, as well. I'm certain there would not be enough of the right specialists to set up even a few more clinics ; and, frankly, those specialists would prefer to work in private practice where they're treated much better than in state services, and where they would earn far more. If they would be paid by the state at private practice rates, the health budget would be able to afford very little else, and many other valuable services would have to be shut down.
There are many other areas of health care very much needed by many people.
I suspect its people with middle level incomes who suffer most in the situation you describe - if one is richer, one can afford private treatment. If one is porer, one might get some help from the state health service - and if one is a really poor family, maybe one can't really afford children.
Life isnt fair. Of course it isn't fair that some of us can't conceive. It isn't fair that some of us get cancer, or have heart attacks or strokes. It isn;t fair that some of us, by birth or accidental damage, are crippled and handicapped with major difficulties in leading even a very modest and ordinary life. Those are very sad realities, and we have to find a way to come to terms with the limitations life places on us.
Counseling can sometimes help us to come to terms with our lot in life, even though that may seem to you very much a second prize, and little comfort.

7
Posted by: Romany | 2011/09/26

No Sana, not ALL PARENTS will throw their children away, but SO MANY parents do not take responsibility of their children and we end up with so many children on the streets. Something NO CHILD deserves. People have one child after the other to get something like R400 per child per month from Government. You cannot do a thing with R400 for a child so the mothers use the money and neglects the child. No decent medical facilities for the people of SA.... Government fraud, no fertitlty clinics, no shelters for streetchildren etc etc full stop.Why oh why, when people have to vote they do not see that we are being taken for the ride of our lives?

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Queen | 2011/09/22

So what happens if you end up not affording the IVF? Assuming that the government will not be building fertility clinics anytime soon...

Reply to Queen
Posted by: Maria | 2011/09/22

What is it with people and the biological imperative to have children genetically yours? As a voluntary adoptive parent I find this hard to understand. No it''s not true that " every husband wants their own children" , by " own"  meaning biological. You don''t have to adopt, but whingeing about the cost of fertility treatment is rather pointless. People cannot get get medical treatment necessary to save their lives in this country. Conceiving a baby is a luxury in comparison.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: saha | 2011/09/22

i dont want to adopt. every husband wants their own children. and everyone is different not all people will throw their children in the bins. And cancer and the other illnesses doctor above mentioned is so much cheaper than ivf.All these other things are just excuses when government officials are being charged for fraud and so on, money is available just that it is not for the right reasons.

Reply to saha
Posted by: Romany | 2011/09/22

And because there are already too many people, dying of hunger and living in poverty, on the streets, found in dirtbins and bushes... it would not be a priority to get treat more woman to have babies.
Maybe you could adopt? That will be great for all. The children living in poverty and not only will you be a mommy but you would have saved a child from a terrible life.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Realist | 2011/09/21

There should be free top class medical care for all. But as there are too many people and not enough rands priorities have to be made.

Reply to Realist