Question
Posted by: Lee | 2012-05-15

XXX chromosome and miscarriage

Hi Doc.
I sadly miscarried at 7 weeks, doctors did tests on the baby and discovered that the baby had 3 X chromosomes, they said it should only have 2, which I googled and shows me it would have been a girl. Is it common to miscarry because of having one too many X chromosome? And is it more likely to happen again? I see that studies show that between 5 - 10 girls are born with XXX chromosomes and live, so I am struggling to understand why our miscarried. What are the chances of it happening again?

Firstly while some babies with chromosomal abnormalities may live, nature's way of dealing with this is often to cause a miscarriage.
The chances of it recurring are small though possibly slightly higher than if it had not happened.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-05-17