Question
Posted by: DM | 2010/02/17

Xenical

I am considering the use of diet pills and would like your opinion on Xenical vs. Duromine. I am obese according to the BMI calculator and do not have any health conditions.

Dear DM
Xenical and Duromine are very different in all aspects. Xenical stops you from absorbing fat from the foods you eat so this automatically lowers your energy intake (each gram of fat you don't eat, saves you 37 kJ!). You should use Xenical with a very-low-fat diet to get the best results and also start exercising when you have lost some weight. You could use the Xenical to get you started on the right track and then just stick to the low-fat diet and steadily increase how much and how long you exercise. Xenical has to be prescribed by a medical dr, who will have to monitor your fat-soluble vitamin levels (vits A, D, E and K) because Xenical can lower your absorption of these vitamins. Duromine is an appetite suppressant. The following side-effects can occur with Duromine (which contains phentermine as its active ingredient), as listed in my copy of MIMS: pulmonary hypertension, central nervous system effects including psychotic episodes and hallucinations, cardiovascular effects, gastrointestinal disturbances, problems with urination, rash, impotence or changes in libido, facial oedema and blurred vision. In view of the side-effects, I would recommend that you rather first try Xenical. Discuss both products with your dr.

1

Dear DM